Saturday 21 April 2012

What Films Do You Like?

Introduction


This post deals with talking about likes and dislikes in general, and films you like or dislike in particular.






SCENARIO


Imagine you are talking to a relative, a friend or a colleague. You are talking about personal choices in films. At some point, the other person says to you something like: "what films do you like?"

In Spanish, the other person could choose to be less formal and say:
¿Qué películas te gustan?

Alternatively, he/ she could choose to be more formal and say:
¿Que películas le gustan (a usted)?


OUR TIP
The question is an invitation for you to say what films you like/ don't like. When stating what you like/ don't like, you DO NOT need to be concerned about the level of formality in the other person's question. Your main concern should be about communicating film(s) you like/ don't like. Perhaps what you want to say is that:
  • You like a specific film;
  • You like a genre of films (plural);
  • You like a list of films or genres;
  • You don't like a specific film;
  • You don't like a genre of films (plural);
  • You don't like a list of films or genres;

Here are some examples of how you could say what films you like/ don't like:
  • Me gusta la película “Lo que el viento se llevó” (I like the film “Gone with the wind”)
  • Me gustan las películas de aventura (I like adventure films)
  • Me gusta ver películas de aventura (I like watching adventure films)
  • Me gustan las películas de aventura, “Lo que el viento se llevó” y “Sonrisas y lágrimas” (I like adventure films, “Gone with the wind” and “The sound of music”)
  • No me gusta la película “Lo que el viento se llevó” (I don't like the film “Gone with the wind”)
  • No me gustan las películas de aventura (I don't like adventure films)
  • No me gusta ver películas de aventura (I don't like watching adventure films)
  • No me gustan las películas de aventura, ni “Lo que el viento se llevó” ni “Sonrisas y lágrimas” (I don't like adventure films nor “Gone with the wind” nor “The sound of music”)

Now you should practice answering the question:
¿Qué películas te gustan?


Spanish lessons online
Skype/ Google+ Hangout/ Facetime
Great lessons

Free Spanish:
Follow us on:
Twitter: @LoveSpanish_com
© Copyright 2012 Love-Spanish.com. by Jose M González. All Rights Reserved.

No comments: