Saturday 30 March 2013

Were You Wanting To Say Goodbye To Your Friends?


SCENARIO
Imagine you are talking to a relative or a work colleague. Maybe you are about to depart on a trip which is going to keep you away for a little while. You are saying your goodbyes and it is then that the other person says to you something like: "were you wanting to say goodbye to your friends?"

In Spanish, the other person could choose to be less formal and say:
¿Querías despedirte de tus amigos?

Alternatively, he/ she could choose to be more formal and say:
¿Quería (usted) despedirse de sus amigos?


OUR TIP
The question is an invitation for you to say whether or not you want to say goodbye to your friends. When saying what you want to do, you should not need to be concerned about the level of formality in the original question. Your main concern should be about saying what you wanted to do.

Here are some examples of how you could reply:
  • Sí, quería despedirme de mis amigos (yes, I wanted to say goodbye to my friends);
  • Sí, quería despedirme de ellos (yes, I wanted to say goodbye to them);
  • Sí, quería despedirme de todos mis amigos (yes, I wanted to say goodbye to all my friends);
  • Sí, quería despedirme de todos ellos (yes, I wanted to say goodbye to all of them);
  • No, no quería despedirme de mis amigos ahora, quería despedirme de ellos más tarde (no, I didn't want to say goodbye to my friends now, I wanted to say goodbye to them later);
  • No, no quería despedirme de ellos ahora, quería hacerlo más tarde (no, I didn't want to say goodbye to them now, I wanted to do it later);

Now you should practise answering the question:
¿Querías despedirte de tus amigos?

This is another Free online Spanish lesson from Love-Spanish.com. We conduct Spanish lessons online on a wide range of topics using the latest video conferencing facilities. Online lessons are the ideal way to improve listening and speaking skills. For more details on our lessons online and how to book them, please visit:

For more Free Spanish:
Follow us on:
© Copyright 2012 Love-Spanish.com. by JM González. All Rights Reserved.

No comments: