This post deals with indicating how near/ far your house is in Spanish, and the distance from where you are to your house.
Imagine you are talking a relative, a friend, a work colleague about your home. Not knowing where you live, the other person asks you: "is your home near?"
In Spanish, the other person could choose to be less formal and say:
¿Queda cerca tu casa?
Alternatively, he/ she could choose to be more formal and say:
¿Queda cerca su casa?
The question is an invitation for you to say how far away your house is. A yes/no answer may be strictly sufficient. However, with little effort, your answer could be a lot more informative.
Here are some examples of how you could reply:
- Mi casa queda lejos (my house is far away)
- Mi casa queda bastante lejos (my house is quite far away)
- Mi casa queda muy lejos (my house is very far away)
- Mi casa queda cerca (my house is near)
- Mi casa queda bastante cerca (my house is quite near)
- Mi casa queda muy cerca (my house is very near)
- Mi casa queda a la vuelta de la esquina (my house is around the corner)
- Mi casa queda al final de la calle (my house is at the end of the street/ road)
- Mi casa queda a dos manzanas (my house is two blocks away)
- Mi casa queda a dos cuadras (my house is two blocks away)
- Mi casa queda a cinco minutos a pie (my house is five minutes away on foot)
- Mi casa queda en el centro (my house is in the town centre/ downtown)
- Mi casa no queda cerca (my house is not near)
- Mi casa queda a doscientos metros* (my house is 200 meters away)
- Mi casa queda a trescientos metros* (my house is 300 meters away)
- Mi casa queda a dos kilómetros* (my house is 2 kilometres away)
Now you should practise answering the question:
¿Queda cerca tu casa?
*See some commonly used length in Spanish below
cien metros100m doscientos metros200m trescientos metros300m cuatrocientos metros400m quinientos metros500m1/2km seiscientos metros600m setecientos metros700m ochocientos metros800m novecientos metros900m mil metros/
Spanish lessons online
Skype/ Google+ Hangout/ Facetime
Follow us on:
Google+: Google+ Love-Spanish
Facebook: Facebook.com/ Love.Spanish
© Copyright 2013 Love-Spanish.com. by Jose M González. All Rights Reserved.